LIC SIIP (LIC Systematic Funding Insurance coverage Plan) is a Common premium ULIP. As with ULIPs, the returns are market-linked. However the plan has a lot costly value construction in comparison with new ULIPs we see lately. Higher to remain away.
LIC SIIP plan is an everyday premium ULIP from LIC. As I see, the nomenclature has been chosen to journey the recognition of SIPs (systematic funding plans) in mutual funds. Although there’s nothing fallacious with the title, the selection appears intentionally deceptive. We should see this within the context of ranges of monetary consciousness within the nation. Given how a lot traders belief LIC, the plan would have bought nicely underneath any title. LIC may have achieved with higher title choice.
Let’s go previous the
nomenclature and discover concerning the LIC SIIP intimately.
LIC SIIP (Plan 852): Salient
Options and Overview
- It’s a unit-linked insurance coverage plan (ULIP). This implies there isn’t any assure of returns.
- It is a Sort I ULIP. On the time of demise, the nominee will get Increased of (Sum Assured, Fund Worth). Beneath a Sort II ULIP, the nominee will get Sum Assured + Fund Worth. Every part else being the identical, Sort I ULIP supplies higher returns whereas the Sort II ULIP supplies higher life cowl.
- Coverage Time period: 10 to 25 years
- Common Premium plan (Premium cost time period identical as coverage time period)
- Premium Fee Frequency: Month-to-month, Quarterly, Half-yearly, Yearly
- Sum Assured: Relies on your entry age
- Entry age as much as 55 years: 10 occasions the annualized premium
- Entry age 55 years and above: 7 occasions the annualized premium
- Eligibility: I reproduce a picture from the product brochure
- Costs within the plan: Premium allocation expenses, the Mortality expenses, fund administration expenses, switching expenses, partial withdrawal cost, and so forth. Will focus on these later within the publish.
- You CAN NOT get a mortgage underneath LIC SIIP plan. Loans aren’t permitted for ULIPs.
- You may have 4 fund decisions (Bond Fund, Secured Fund, Balanced Fund, Progress Fund)
LIC SIIP Plan (Plan 852): Varied
Costs and their influence
For a deeper understanding about numerous varieties of expenses in ULIPs, how they’re adjusted and their influence on returns, check with this publish.
The ULIPs have the
identical nomenclature for the fees. I’ll level out areas the place LIC SIIP is
higher or worse than different standard ULIPs.
Premium allocation cost: This cost is deducted from the premium earlier than your cash will get invested. It’s expressed as a share of premium. GST can be relevant on these expenses.
In LIC SIIP plan,
Premium allocation cost is
Subsequently, in case you
make investments Rs 1 lacs every year within the plan, Rs 9,400 (incl. 18% GST) will likely be
charged in case of offline buy and Rs 3,540 (incl. 18% GST) in case of
on-line buy. The remaining cash will get invested however will likely be topic to different
From the second
until the 5th 12 months, Rs 6,490 will likely be charged in case of offline and
Rs 2,360 will likely be charged in case of on-line plan.
From the 6th
12 months onwards, Rs 3,540 and Rs 1,180 will likely be charged for offline and on-line
At a time when personal insurers are transferring in direction of zero premium allocation cost at the least for on-line gross sales, these expenses are exorbitant.
Mortality expenses: These expenses go in direction of offering you the life cowl. The mortality expenses rely in your age and are recovered each month by the cancellation of fund models each month. I reproduce the mortality cost desk from pattern coverage doc on LIC web site.
Mortality expenses improve with age. If you’re previous, mortality expenses will have an effect on your returns extra. On the identical time, since it is a Sort I ULIP (sum-at-risk = Sum Assured – Fund Worth), the influence of mortality expenses will likely be decrease. Sum-at-risk is the quantity that the insurance coverage firm should pay within the occasion of policyholder demise. In Sort-I ULIPs, because the fund worth will increase, the Sum-at-risk goes down. Subsequently, the influence of mortality expenses additionally goes down.
I discovered the
expenses barely increased than a number of the ULIPs from personal firms that I
LIC SIIP Plan: Return of
There’s a provision
that the mortality expenses will likely be returned to the investor on the time of
maturity. Solely the bottom expenses will likely be returned to the investor. Any taxes or extra
as a consequence of your well being situation gained’t be reimbursed. This will likely be paid as well as
to the fund worth.
In isolation, that is an investor-friendly gesture. Nevertheless, this gained’t make a lot distinction to your returns.
Since you get
solely absolutely the mortality expenses. No return is given on these expenses. As talked about earlier, taxes and extra gained’t
be returned both.
it is a Sort-I ULIP, the quantum of mortality cost will go down yearly and
finally go to zero as soon as the Fund Worth exceeds the Sum Assured.
Irrespective of how we
spin it, every little thing comes from the fees.
gained’t be returned for surrendered or discontinued insurance policies or within the occasion of demise
through the coverage time period. These expenses are returned provided that the policyholder survives
the coverage time period.
LIC SIIP: Assured Additions
The plan supplies
assured additions too (type of loyalty advantages).
I talked about assured additions in my publish on LIC Nivesh Plus (a single premium ULIP from LIC. These are simply advertising gimmicks. Every part finally comes out of your cash.
LIC SIIP plan: How will the maturity
proceeds be taxed?
The loss of life profit is all the time exempt from tax.
The identical will not be
true for the maturity profit.
For maturity proceeds to be exempt from tax, the Sum Assured ought to be at the least 10 occasions the annual premium. If this situation will not be met, the maturity proceeds are taxable. There’s TDS of 5% too.
In case your age on the
time of entry within the plan is lower than 55 years, your life cowl (Sum Assured)
will likely be 10 occasions Annual Premium. No tax drawback on this case. The maturity
proceeds will likely be exempt from tax.
Nevertheless, in case your entry age is 55 or above, the Sum Assured is 7 occasions the annual premium. Whereas this helps you save a bit on mortality expenses, the flipside is that the maturity proceeds will likely be taxable.
LIC SIIP plan: What are the returns
I reproduce the
illustration given within the gross sales brochure.
exhibits returns for gross funding returns of 4% and eight% p.a. (as mandated by
IRDA). Being a ULIP, you’ll anticipate the investments to earn a better return
however that’s not necessary proper now. The returns may even rely in your age
and the funds chosen.
Let’s take into account the instance with a coverage time period of 25 years and gross returns of 8% p.a. The investor pays a quarterly premium of Rs 30,000 for 25 years and will get Rs 69.17 lacs on the time of maturity. Be aware that is together with Return of Mortality expenses and Assured Additions. Complete funding was Rs 30 lacs.
It is a internet return of 6.07% p.a. 1.94% p.a. of your return gone as a consequence of numerous expenses.
In case your funding earned 8% p.a. you’ll have Rs ~92.07 lacs on the finish of 25 years. LIC SIIP expenses eat away 37% of the gross returns. Not achieved.
Factors to Be aware
- The returns will likely be increased (decrease) if the gross returns are increased (decrease).
- The returns will likely be decrease (increased) if the entry age is increased (decrease).
- This illustration is for an offline plan (by an agent). Offline plans have increased prices. On-line plans are cheaper. Every part else being the identical, the net plan will give higher returns.
- This illustration is for a 30-year-old. For this investor, the Sum Assured is 10 occasions the annual premium. Therefore, the maturity proceeds will likely be exempt from tax.
- For the entry age 55 years or above, the Sum Assured is just 7 occasions Annual Premium. Therefore, the maturity proceeds will likely be taxable. The loss of life profit will nonetheless be exempt from tax. There isn’t any illustration for this case within the gross sales brochure.
LIC SIIP: Must you make investments?
I recommend you don’t.
Please maintain your insurance coverage and funding wants separate.
In your insurance coverage
wants, buy a plain vanilla time period life insurance coverage plan.
In your funding
wants, buy pure funding merchandise (and low-cost merchandise) similar to PPF,
mutual funds and so forth.
Nonetheless, in case you should make investments on this plan, buy the plan on-line. Moreover, notice that, in case your entry age is 55 or above, the maturity proceeds will likely be taxable.
The publish was first revealed in March 2020.
- LIC SIIP Plan (Plan 852): Product Brochure
- LIC SIIP Plan (Plan 852): Coverage wordings
- LIC Nivesh Plus web page on LIC web site
- The way to choose the Greatest ULIP?
- Why I choose Mutual Funds over ULIPs?
- ICICI Prudential Life Signature ULIP
- How numerous expenses in ULIPs destroy your returns?
- In a ULIP, you pay extra for the life cowl as in comparison with Time period Life Insurance coverage Plans
- In conventional plans and ULIPs, your age impacts your returns
- The issue with Single Premium Life Insurance coverage Plans
- The Complete Life Insurance coverage Premium will not be tax–deductible
- If you’re previous, don’t purchase ULIPs